Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nantucket, part 1

Over Labor Day weekend, our little family had the amazing opportunity to take a (long) weekend vacation on Nantucket Island.  Nantucket is a 14 mile long island that is located right off of Cape Cod in Massachusetts.  I visited Nantucket once with my mom and sister, the summer after I graduated Baylor.  It was love at first sight!  I mean- what's not to love about exchanging our 110 degree Texas days for 40 degrees cooler at the New England coastline?!!

Needless to say, Todd and I were thrilled when my mom began planning a trip up to the Cape for me, Todd, Coop, my stepdad, and sister.  After a drive from Waco to Dallas, a flight to Cleveland, a flight to Providence, and a drive to Hyannis, we boarded the ferry (next to Ryan Reynolds!) that would take us into Nantucket.  

Coming into Nantucket Harbor at sunset after 13 hours of travel with a 10 month old is definitely a sight for sore eyes!
We stayed in the cutest little house I've ever seen- and I am so bummed that I didn't take any pictures of it!  Nantucket building codes are intense- your house HAS TO BE gray shingles with white trim.  And because of the climate, hydrangeas grow like wildflowers.  {Jealous.}
After the tastiest dinner at Brotherhood of Thieves (I am still dreaming about my sesame crusted tuna salad), we headed home and called it a day.
Almost everything in Nantucket is walking (or biking!) distance, so we spent the next day exploring,
    
Shopping,
Cycling,
Taking photos of each other,

Eating ridiculously fresh seafood,
And fudge,
And admiring the ginormous yachts in the harbor.
Seriously... what do you have to do for a living to be able to afford one of those?!!  
That evening, we took Cooper on his first ever sailboat ride.  I have to say that my first thought after sitting down on our tiny boat that seated... ohh... 6 people knee-to-knee, was "What the heck am I thinking, by taking a ten month old on a sailboat?!!  And without a lifejacket, at that!"  Thankfully, the sweet boy was such a champ and didn't cry, didn't get sea sick, and just curled up on Daddy's chest and fell asleep.  I LOVE my guys!
I was SO proud of my little boo.  He let us tote him all over the town, catnapping in the stroller.  I don't think he took a single nap in his crib all week.  I'm not sure if that was a bigger victory for HIM or for ME.  I tend to hyper-schedule this poor boy.
Another delicious dinner of lobster mac and cheese at the Rose & Crown.  
And still bummed that we didn't stay for the karaoke.  
More pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. I thought about you all several times while you were on your trip, wondering what you were doing and hoping you were having a great time. I can tell that you did. Thanks for the update and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete