Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Heavenly Day

Three years ago, today, this handsome man came off the market for good.  I feel like I've struck gold with him!  No one else can make me laugh as joyfully, challenge me as faithfully, ruffle my feathers are frequently, see my weaknesses as transparently, and then still want to climb in bed with me at the end of the night.
Our first dance as husband and wife was to Patty Griffin's 'Heavenly Day.'  The newness of the song and the memories of that first dance still haven't worn off.  I will always remember how magical Ridgewood Country Club looked with all of those drapes tented over us, and how surreal it felt to be attending my own wedding, and how much joyful anticipation was in my heart just thinking about our honeymoon and the years to come.

Marriage has definitely not been the easiest thing I've ever done, nor has it been the hardest (that was maybe childbirth!)  It has had it's ups and downs, as we knew that it would, even as we approached our June wedding.  Perhaps that is why our first song seemed so appropriate.  The valleys in our marriage have been pretty low, but the mountaintops have been incredible, empowering, and faith building.  At the end of the day, I am beyond thankful for my strong and loving husband to just sit with and enjoy life.  Happy Anniversary, Babe!

"Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin
Oh, heavenly day
All the clouds blew away
Got no trouble today with anyone
The smile on your face, I live only to see
It's enough for me, baby, it's enough for me
Oh heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day
Tomorrow may rain with sorrow
Here's a little time we can borrow
Forget all our troubles in these moments so few
Oh because right now is the only thing 
That we really have to do 
Is have ourselves a heavenly day, heavenly day
Lay here and watch the trees sway
Oh can't see no other way, no way, no way
Heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day
No one at my shoulder bringing me fears
Got no cloud up above me bringing me tears
Got nothing to tell you, I've got nothing much to say
Only I'm glad to be here with you 
On this heavenly, heavenly, heavenly, heavenly, heavenly day


1 comment:

  1. Babe - I love you so much. It is I who's the lucky one. Thank you for writing about that awesome day.

    ReplyDelete